xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Grace 4 Me & U: What is a Christ follower to do? (Part 1)

2.27.2015

What is a Christ follower to do? (Part 1)

As a Christian have you ever felt overwhelmed, or like you need some guidance on pleasing God? This post lists what we tend to do instead.
Inside looking out By Bill Strain
I recently saw a picture posted and shared on facebook, that got me thinking about what a job description would and wouldn't look like if I worked for Jesus. I know, I do work for Jesus and the weight of what I do has taken me down a path of exhaustion. In fact I am so exhausted that I can't find the meaning to Matthew 11:28-30
 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matthew 11
 Before I try to figure out this easy yoke and light burden, let me look at what is not involved in the job duties of a Christian.

Not Job Duties for Christians

Saving the whole world. Yeah, in case you don't realize it, Jesus already took care of this. He came here for the whole world. He came to give each and every person the opportunity to be saved.
 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. - John 3
 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.[a] They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. - John 10
Judging other. Jesus came to set us free, he himself did not come to judge or condemn us. So what is it that makes us think we can serve as judge to those around us.
 47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. 49 For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. 50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.” - John 12
 “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. - Matthew 7
If you are going to judge the way others choose to live their own life shouldn't you at least look at how you live your own. Are you being compassionate to those around you, are you taking care of the widows and the orphans?

You do realize that God himself will take care of the people who follow him, much better and with much more grace then you could even muster all by yourself. So take a load off. If Jesus himself came to save but not judge or condemn, why do we see these two things as our job. We should introduce people to the one who himself doesn't judge but comes to bring salvation, eternal like, and mounds of grace.

Well check out Part 2 to find out what a Christian Job Description should look like.