xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Grace 4 Me & U: 4 Lessons we can learn from an Overwhelmed Jesus

10.10.2015

4 Lessons we can learn from an Overwhelmed Jesus


4 Lessons we can learn from an Overwhelmed Jesus | Grace 4 Me & U
My grandma has the gift of prayer. When grandma prays I know without any doubt that God is listening. One day I had the hiccups, I get them bad, and sometimes they are painful. I was visiting with grandma. Next thing I know, I hear her whispering under her breath, immediately no more hiccups, no more pain. It was a God moment.

I want to talk to you about another person who had the gift of prayer. This person was the son of God, Jesus. He was a prayer and like when grandma prays God listens. When Jesus prayed, God listened.

Last Friday I posted a blog about 4 attitudes to be Aware of when You Pray. Today I want to talk to you about prayers Jesus said. I want to look at a specific time that Jesus prayed and what we can learn from his prayer.  This was a time when Jesus in all his human flesh became overwhelmed by what was to come.

 First let's read Matthew 26:36-44

Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy. And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words. - Matthew 26:36-44

What can we learn from this story of Jesus praying?

1. When we're overwhelmed we should gather those we trust to pray for us, (it is okay to ask others to pray for you). While they pray for us it is okay to pray for ourselves.

I know that I deal with feeling overwhelmed, as part of my ADD I have a hard time shutting my brain off. Sometimes I lay in bed praying for God to hold me until I fall asleep because I feel like everything is going to crush me.

Do you ever feel this way? Sometimes when this happens I catch myself praying multiple times for the same thing. Which leads me into what I learned next.

4 Lessons we can learn from an Overwhelmed Jesus | Grace 4 Me & U2. It is okay to pray for the same thing multiple times, especially if you are praying for guidance and God's will. 

God loves us. The Bible reminds me that he guide our steps. Sometimes I wish he would respond to me via email, texting, or even lightning. Have you been there, too?

I have been struggling in the same trial for years. I have prayed for guidance and for God to reveal his will for me, but he has been quiet. I started to wonder if it was okay to ask God to take this trial away from him, and I learned that it is okay.

3. It is okay to ask God to take the trial away, but sometimes his answer will be no. (Trust in his plan in those cases).

Jesus asked if the cup he was to drink from could be taken away.  It wasn't Jesus' will that was important, it was God's. Just like it isn't my will that is important. It is God's will for my life, it is the faith strengthening through those trials that are important. Grandma dealt with God saying wait to her, it was hard, but she survived.

I know that I will survive as well, because God has called me to follow him in faith.

4. Jesus himself became overwhelmed, so don't beat yourself up when you are overwhelmed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B18AxUGHF7clLVUyUEhkWnh6d28/view?usp=sharingI know that Jesus lived in human flesh, he dealt with the same pain and fears that we deal with but he lived courageous. God strengthened him, and we can pray that God will give us the same strength as we continue through our lives.

When we become overwhelmed we should prayer. We should trust in the people God has giving us. Most of all we should trust God.

When you're overwhelmed do you find yourself praying like Jesus? Let's try it. Check out this printable for your prayer closet, your War Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment