xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Grace 4 Me & U: Help me of my unbelief...

7.02.2014

Help me of my unbelief...

During adult Sunday School we were learning about the time when a man brought his demon possessed son to the disciples. They tried to rebuke the demon but they couldn't. Such a sad thing for this father who so bad wanted to see his son healed. The disciples knew the one who could heal the son. So they took the father and son to Jesus, the ultimate healer. This should have given the father confidence, it didn't. He asked Jesus to help his unbelief.

Jesus Heals a Boy Possessed by an Impure Spirit

 22 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”
23 “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” - Mark 9:22-24 (read the entire story from Mark 9:14-29)
A few things we should remember before we judge this man's unbelief. Remember earlier in the chapter when a miracle happened Jesus told those around not to tell anyone. So the father had not heard of many, if any miracles. This is the reason we should not neglect meeting together with other believers. When we meet together we can rejoice with then about how God is working in others lives as well ourselves. Then when doubt comes, we have a reminder of those miracles.
 
The band Finding Favour has a new sing "Say Amen" that remind me of this. On a difficult day when nothing was going right I heard that song and felt a desire for community, for a chance to hear praise for what God is doing.
 
 
 
Next, he had just put faith in those who said they could, the followers of this man, and they couldn't. So while he still believed I can see how there would be doubt in his heart. He could see the doubt and he asked Jesus to help his doubt.
 
We can learn something from this man. He didn't try to hide his doubt, but came to Jesus and asked for a healing of his doubt. This is something I am working on. 

Dear Lord help my doubt.

My sister once said she prayed God would reveal truth to her. That comes by spending time in the word of God, the Bible. It comes from praying and meditating on these things. Faith is the same way. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. It may be the testimonies of others, songs, or reading the Bible either way spending time with God had a way of helping our doubt.
 
Dear Lord,
You know that I allow fear and doubt in. Please help my doubt and erase my fears.
In Jesus Name,
Amen