xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Grace 4 Me & U: 5 Tips to Hearing God's Voice

1.27.2016

5 Tips to Hearing God's Voice

Most of the time I find myself praying for God to reveal these things to me now. But I also know that if I know the end results it will affect how I step. So here are a few tips for making sure you hear God's voice.

How do you recognize that God is directing your paths?

This is a question I have dealt with for awhile. I have strong desires for something, but what if it is wrong? I'm sure I am not the only one, right?

At first his disciples did not understand all this. Only after Jesus was glorified did they realize that these things had been written about him and that these things had been done to him. - John 12:16

Most of the time I find myself praying for God to reveal these things to me now. But I also know that if I know the end results it will affect how I step.

So here are a few tips for making sure you hear God's voice.

1. To Hear God's voice, you must have a relationship with God.
To hear God's voice, you need to have a relationship with God. Jesus himself reminds us of this.

25 Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all;no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.” - John 10:25-30

If we are going to hear and follow God's voice we need to have a relationship with Jesus. We must have a prepared heart to hear him.

2. If we want to hear God's voice, we must realize that God is soft spoken
We are reminded that God is soft spoken in 1 Kings 19:11-13

11 The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of theLord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

Just because God is soft spoken, doesn't mean he won't use unusual methods to grab our attention.

2 There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up.” - Exodus 3:2-3
God grabbed Moses attention with a burning bush that didn't burn.

Sometimes I wish God would use this method with me. But instead, he is using his still soft voice.

3. If it is God's will, He will open the door, He will make the way.

10 Moses said to the Lord, “Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.” 11 The Lord said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, theLord? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.” - Exodus 4:10-12
Moses may not have been the best talker, but God promised to provide the words to say. This didn't satisfy, so God gave him a brother, Aaron, who could speak.
Most of the time I find myself praying for God to reveal these things to me now. But I also know that if I know the end results it will affect how I step. So here are a few tips for making sure you hear God's voice.

We should remember this, God won't leave us hanging, or expect us to make our own way.

4. If it is God's direction, it may not be the shortest path.

17 When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” 18 So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea. The Israelites went up out of Egypt ready for battle. - Exodus 13:17-18

God knows our future, He knows who we will react to things. So sometimes He makes us go the long way, to keep us from turning back to what he is trying to save us from.

5. If we ignore God's led, or disobey Him, it becomes harder to hear His voice.

God's voice isn't booming, since he is so soft spoken, the more we ignore or disobey His voice, the harder and harder it is to hear His voice.

9 The Lord had said to Moses, “Pharaoh will refuse to listen to you—so that my wonders may be multiplied in Egypt.” 10 Moses and Aaron performed all these wonders before Pharaoh, but the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he would not let the Israelites go out of his country. - Exodus 11:9-10
Pharaoh's heart was so hard it took losing his son before he followed God's guidance. To make matters worse, even after he let the Israelites leave, he changed his mind and chased them.

In the words of the recent facebook meme. Pharaoh was bad. Don't be like Pharaoh.

Now you have 5 tips to help you hear God's voice when he speaks to you. Jesus loved and listened to God. Be like Jesus.

What is your tip to hearing God's voice? Do you use a journal, Evernote, or talk and listen to advice from others? Share your thoughts in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment